Monday, July 17, 2006

Upstairs Tour


So, this isn't exactly upstairs...but, you may want to take note of the tool-free fireplace hearth (as of today...I'm sooo lazy.) We have also moved the bedroom loveseat in front of the fireplace to make a little sitting room area. The slipcover is only about 1/3 of the way fitted to the sofa, and is inside out, but still an improvement! Up next, I plan to bring in our one lonesome patio chair from the back, and sew pillows for it and for the loveseat, make some large, kid-friendly floor pillows, get a bookcase endtable from Ikea, and paint the dark, dark wall a cheery apple green. Paint will probably happen first.

Next stop, the master bath...no, I didn't actually plan it that way, but I think I mentioned earlier that these don't always show up in the order I post them...here is my bathtub, tucked in a little corner, window above it...shower is to the right...makes it easy at bathtime. Usually the kids play in the tub while Alan showers.







More master bath...Here is the vanity and cabinets! The only real (and by real, I mean made of wood) cabinets in the house! If not for this space, I would have NO linen closet/medicine storage whatsoever, so I LOVES my vanity! Also, note the luxurious gold-plated fixtures and mirror. Why yes, that IS the Ensign on the countertop. I was reviewing my VT message as I curled my hair...so efficient!





Ahhh, winter witch. Yes, we actually have a wall large enough to hang her on! The painting is 8 feet wide by 4 feet tall. The ceilings in the bedroom are vaulted, so this is a really big wall. And that's my yoga mat on the floor beneath the painting. My thinking was that if it was rolled out permanently, I would guilt myself into practicing several times a week. It sort of works...I feel really guilty for not using it. The little hallway to the right leads to a walk-in closet on the right and the bathroom on the left. The door you see is another smaller closet.

Here is a real view of the master bedroom taken as you enter the room. We have double doors coming into the room, which is lovely, barring the fact that there are no locks on the doors. There are locks on the kid's rooms however...and we are considering reversing the knobs, so they can't lock us out. Then we could lock them in...this idea is sounding better and better! Actually, they haven't even realized there are locks, so at the moment, it's a non-issue.



View from our bedroom into the hallway/playroom. Yes, the hallway is that wide. I don't really understand it myself, but it's a great place for the kids to play, the toys stay organized, and most importantly, the kid's rooms and closets stay relatively clean. The bathroom is to the right and the two rooms at the end of the hall are Alexander's and Hadley's, respectively. The little cabinet at the end of the hallway contains paper, crayons, coloring books and take-to-church toys.











Here's a better view of the play area in action...um, that doesn't really make sense. I guess "in use" is the way of phrasing it. By the way, this photo is totally staged. :) But, we did find Hadley sitting in that very spot, reading, just as she is here one night when we thought she was asleep in our bed. I think I have an actual photo of that, which I will post next week...See mom? Do you get the idea now? It works so great!



Here are the kids playing on the landing between the stairs. I think I mentioned before that these are literally the STEEPEST STAIRS EVER. The kids go down them by sliding down on their bellies, feet first. It is ridiculously fast! They are like little otters or something. Someone in my ward told me about a way to post little videos online taken with my digital camera, so I will find out specifics and try to get some otter footage!

That's all folks! Actually, no, there is more in the next post...keep scrolling and remember you can click on colored links for more information and click on the photos for a bigger version.

ONE LAST THING: your COMMENTS are appreciated more than you will know and are the only real way I have of knowing that you are reading this at all! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE COMMENT! EVEN IF IT'S SILLY OR JUST A LINE OR TWO. I LOVE YOU ALL AND MISS YOU! xoxox

5 comments:

Petite Impact said...

i love your house so much i hate it! it's perfect!

MenacingTourist said...

Long time lurker, first time poster...
I hadn't posted before because I didn't want to create an account. It was actually very easy.

BTW...Floral bedskirts? C'mon Spyderette, that is so 1996 :)

Lindsey said...

I am glad the picture of the kids was staged, at first glance I thought... Why doesn't my child play that calmly???

Anonymous said...

Im wearing new socks

Anonymous said...

SOOOOOO cute!
i really like what you've done with the place! everything looks super cute. kisses to the kids for me....
love you bad!